Sunday, August 21, 2011

4/16-4/17 Dartmouth and UNH

Dartmouth/UNH 2011

Dartmouth:
ITT: This was a ~4-mile mostly-uphill time trial. I knew it wouldn’t be as good as the previous ITTs, but I really was annoyed with myself after the end, when I realized that I got 5th place but 3rd place was only 1 second faster; it took me several pedal strokes just to clip in! So, that was disappointing, but not altogether surprising, especially since I slept less in the previous week than I can remember any time in the recent memory so really was not feeling strong.

Crit: The crit was confusing due to the mixing between A’s and B’s, as always. I raced well, pushed hard, shared work with a couple of other girls, and finished fine. Nothing spectacular, nothing outrageously bad.


UNH:
TTT: Diana, Kris and I started this very hilly 10 mile TTT. Rainstorms left the roads quite wet and the descents sketchy, but the sun started to come out during our race. We passed all of the other B teams (there were only 3), dropped Kris on an uphill, and then I had to beg Diana to not drop me on the rest of the uphills; that was quite a nice change, really, since I had expected to have to pull most of the race, since it was her first race weekend ever.



Road Race: This was a 60 mile road race, 3 laps each with a significant amount of elevation gain. I stayed with the main pack for only the first 8 miles, and then dropped on the first big steep uphill; I don’t know why I’m such a terrible climber despite all of my training! I suppose weight has something to do with it, but there are much bigger people than me who manage to stay with the pack. Then, I rode with 2 other girls for the rest of the lap. On lap 2, one girl dropped me, and I dropped the other girl, so I essentially time-trialed pretty hard for the next 20 miles, being sure to eat a gel and shot bloks and a bottle of gatorade throughout the race. Sadly, with about 8 miles to go, the girl who I dropped earlier caught back up with two others, who had been taking it pretty easy and just rotating/pacelining for the whole time I had been TT-ing; needless to say, they dropped my tired self pretty fast, though I did pass one back on the final climb. I ended up over 30 minutes behind the lead A rider, but I was so totally exhausted that I’d consider it a good race anyway.

Overall: The team did awesome, as always. I didn’t have a particularly great weekend, but stood 3rd in the women’s B omnium overall standings after this weekend; with a lot of sleep and some luck, maybe next weekend I can do better!

No comments:

Post a Comment