Thursday, April 5, 2012

Princeton (ECCC #4)


Princeton ITT, Circuit, Crit

3/24-3/25/12

Shaena Berlin

This is a brief report written a couple of weeks after the race. Races went fine but nothing spectacular.

Circuit: This circuit race did not go very well for me; it consisted of 27 miles split up into 6 4.4-mile loops, each of which contained i) a steep ~1-min hill, ii) a couple of more gradual hills, and iii) a long downhill and flat section with a headwind. Unfortunately, I was dropped the second time up the short steep hill, when the pack accelerated; my legs felt very strong and powerful, just not light and quick enough to keep up. After that, I was with a small group or on my own for the rest; I did drop the group I was with in the final lap. Placed near the back.

Uphill ITT: This uphill ITT actually contained much more rolling and downhill than I expected; I didn’t wear an aerohelmet since I assumed it wouldn’t be of much use, but it actually might have made all the difference. I placed 2nd in B’s, just 2 seconds behind the winner. It was 4.6 miles up, 19:38, and I set a new power record at 221 W.

Crit: I did well in this crit, although it was rather boring. It consisted of a 1.5-mile loop, mostly flat, with one sharp corner followed by a short steep uphill one turn before the finish line. Katie raced in the men’s B race directly before this one, so no one did anything very exciting; the course was such that it would be very difficult to get away in a breakaway or anything. I got a lot of practice moving through the pack and working on positioning; in fact, I won most of the primes for B’s, despite being a pretty bad sprinter, just by positioning myself near the front at the last turn. That was fun. I did something stupid near the end, which was to pull the field for the last two laps (not going that hard, but enough to tire out a bit), so didn’t end up doing great in the sprint.

No comments:

Post a Comment